WhatsApp announced new features for group messaging today.
Groups have been an important part of the WhatsApp experience, whether it’s family members connecting across the globe or childhood friends staying in touch over the years. There are also people coming together in groups on WhatsApp like new parents looking for support, students organizing study sessions, and even city leaders coordinating relief efforts after natural disasters. Today, we’re sharing improvements that we’ve made to groups.
● Group description: A short blurb found under group info that allows you to set the purpose, guidelines, or topics for the group. When a new person joins a group, the description will show up at the top of the chat.
● Admin controls: In group settings, there’s now a control that allows admins to restrict who can change the group’s subject, icon, and description.
● Group catch up: When you’ve been away from a group chat, quickly catch up on messages that mention or reply to you by tapping on a new @ button that appears at the bottom right corner of the chat.
● Participant search: Find anyone in a group by searching for participants on the group info page.
● Admins can now remove admin permissions of other group participants, and group creators can no longer be removed from the group they started.
WhatsApp also introduced protection so users can’t be repeatedly added to groups they’ve left.
You can download WhatsApp Messenger from the App Store for free.