Google has updated its Hangouts app to work with the built-in Phone app on the iPhone. This is possible via CallKit, a framework Apple has provided that to let VoIP apps integrate tightly with the native Phone UI.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Easily share your current location to any conversation with Maps integration.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they’re offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google Cloud.
What’s New In This Version:
• Users can now receive incoming calls and make outgoing calls using the system-provided phone app. To enable / disable this feature, go to Settings and toggle Answer on lock screen.
• Fixed photo pinch zoom in preview.
• Fixed video calling crashes.
You can download Hangouts from the App Store for free.