Belkin has announced that the Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmer now features Apple HomeKit support without the need for a hub. HomeKit support arrives via a software update released today.
The Wemo Dimmer is an elegant wall switch that embeds smart lighting technology with dimming functionality to be controlled using the Home app or Wemo app on iPhone and iPad. Wemo users can add Wemo Dimmer to the Apple Home app and ask Siri to control lighting throughout the home with HomePod or even automatically based on rules and intelligence. Now both Wemo Mini Smart Plugs and Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmers can be included into scenes and rooms to work with more than one hundred other HomeKit compatible products.
“More than 1.5 million Wemo Mini and Dimmers are in the hands of consumers and people can now leverage this software update for use with the Wemo devices they already own,” said Justin Doucette, senior director of product management for Wemo. “Our mission is to make the smart home experience simple, approachable and fun to use. With this new integration we aim to continue providing easy solutions to everyday tasks and add value through on-going software updates.”
Using Wemo with Apple Home app and Siri, consumers can:
● Voice control Wemo with Siri from your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod, Apple TV, and Mac.
● Add Wemo to rooms in the Apple Home app and control multiple HomeKit compatible products at once.
● Automate Wemo with scenes in the Apple Home app.
● Use Scenes to turn Wemo Dimmer on/off or adjust light levels based on your location, time of day, or a command to Siri like “Movie Time”.
● Remotely check if someone left the Wemo Dimmer lights on, and then adjust light levels, from your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
The update to enable HomeKit on the Wemo Dimmer will begin rolling out today. Customers can use the Wemo app to apply the update.